Wednesday, August 05, 2009

How to setup: Remote desktop of Red Hat Linux on Windows via SSH and Xming

I was attempting to install Autonomy IDOL Server 7 on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) box through SSH (Putty) when the installer asked for an X11 window to launch the installer. This server was setup in a hosted environment and it didn't have VNC Server setup and the only access I had to that server was through SSH.

So I decided to get a remote desktop (the X11 window of the RHEL server) onto my Windows XP desktop. With some help from various folks on the internet, I got it setup using the following steps.

Note:- You need to do most of the steps on the RHEL server as root.

1. I needed a X11 Windowing client for Windows XP. I found XMing in the open source world and installed Xming 6.9.0.31 from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=156984

2. I opened the ssh_config file on the RHEL server and made changes to have the following entries and saved the file:
a. "Host *"
b. "ForwardAgent yes"
c. "ForwardX11 yes"
d. "ForwardX11Trusted yes"

3. Opened sshd_config file on the RHEL server and made changes to have the following entries and saved the file:

a. "X11Forwarding yes"

4. Installed xauth by running the "yum install xauth" command in the RHEL server. This asked if it could download and install a particular package for which I said yes.

5. I restarted the sshd service by running "service sshd --full-restart" on the RHEL server.

The server configuration for X11 Window forwarding was completed.

6. At putty on the Windows box, I made the following changes:
For that particular server in Putty, I went to Connection> SSH>Tunnels>
a. Checked the "Enable X11 Forwarding"
b. Entered "localhost:0" as the X Display location
c. The MIT-Magic-Cookie-1 was left selected by default

Saved the configuration for that server and connected to the server through Putty. This time when I launched the Autonomy IDOL server installer and it in turn launched a GUI based screen it was shown in my XMing window (you need to uncheck Hide Root Window in the Xming icon in the taskbar).



No comments:

Post a Comment